As part of our Equal Opportunities Policy, we are committed to providing access and individual learning support to learners by making reasonable adjustments whenever possible.
We endeavour to uphold human rights relating to race relations, disability discrimination and any special educational needs of our learners, and to provide equable reasonable adjustments and special considerations for all learners on our programmes. We expect you to have a fair access to training and assessment.
We recognise that reasonable adjustments or special considerations may be required at the time of assessment where:
- learners have a permanent disability or specific learning needs
- learners have a temporary disability, medical condition or learning needs
- learners are indisposed at the time of the assessment
We aim to make suitable provision for reasonable adjustments and special consideration arrangements to ensure that learners receive recognition of their achievement so long as the equity, validity and reliability of the assessments can be assured.
Reasonable adjustments are to be communicated, approved and set in place before the assessment takes place. The use of a reasonable adjustment will not be taken into consideration during the assessment of a learner’s work.
Additional Learners’ Needs Support Procedure
We recognise that learners who apply and attend our training programmes will have differing and variable needs. In support of our Equal Opportunities Policy, we intend to accommodate learner’s individual needs, wherever possible.
To enable us to identify any specific learning needs, agree appropriate adjustments and support and evaluate the effectiveness of our provision, we will include the following procedures:
- Learner Application Form – ask if they have any individual learning needs or physical needs that may necessitate adjustments or additions to the training programme.
- During the Training Programme – observe and discuss with learners any changes or adjustments that may be necessary to enable them to have equal access to the training programme.
- Learner Evaluation Form – request written and verbal evaluation from the learner to enable us to assess the extent to which we are able to satisfactorily accommodate the learner’s individual needs.
Possible Reasonable Adjustments that will be considered to meet individual learner needs:
- Provide resources in advance of the training.
- Provide resources in alternative format (e.g. audio material or large print).
- adapting assessment materials, for example; providing materials in Braille.
- Discuss and agree an Action Plan with the student for best learning methods. Provide tour of the venue before the start the training.
- Meet or communicate with the learner to agree any support needed.
- Provide access to e-learning as well as face-to-face training.
- Provide hearing loops (if applicable).
- Provide extra tutor support time when appropriate.
- Provide access to suitable equipment and environment to meet needs.
During assessment (if applicable):
- Provide a reader for written assessments.
- Provide a scribe for written assessments.
- Provide extra time for assessments.
- Provide extra breaks during assessment.
- Defer assessments to enable more preparation time.